The point of this project is to provide platform for developing desktop and TV applications in a way which is familiar to web developers but not necessarily the same. We are not recreating browser here, some of the features simply don't make sense for such apps and/or would have been very hard to implement.
Note the complexity is vastly reduced, people often don't realize how different it is to develop web application vs. desktop one and how much baggage electron app needs to carry with itself (or to put it differently, how big is the cost of being able to turn existing web application into desktop app). To name just a few things you usually don't need:
- tabs with different apps loaded at the same time & being able to (really) quickly switch between them
- excessive caching (images, fonts, styles, js files) & mem consumption to make that speed possible
- history tracking, password management, autofill, synchronization, incognito mode
- theming/user-provided styles, device media queries (phones/tablets)
- user-agent/feature detection & polyfilling/transpiling
- custom extensions (can even override CSS/HTML/JS for some sites), download manager
- devtools, syntax highlighting, profiling
- WebGL, canvas, SVG, XML parsing/styling
- scale/rotate elements while preserving their interactivity
- printing, print preview, saving to pdf
- pdf reader, including forms extensions
- audio/video player, including formats your OS can't even play itself
- url-bar, integration with search engines
- cookies, local/session storage, indexeddb/websql, crypto
- iframes, linking scripts from remote sites, same origin policy
- flash player, ads
- flawless i18n & accessibility, speech modulation/recognition
Moreover, some features (innerHTML, cookies, frames, remote scripts) are in fact undesired and leaving them out avoids some security concerns you'd otherwise have to audit yourself (notably XSS & CSRF). Note that you can directly communicate (just require whatever you need) with your database without exposing any API server.
The table below provides some info about what's left out completely, what can be done with plain
nodejs or with some 3rd party module from
npm. Some of them might be introduced in the future but don't have any false hopes.
Note that you can always use/implement native module for anything.
|RTL, vertical langs||N/A|